Sunday 1 June 2014

May Nature Notes


Inspired by Edith Holden's "The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady" I have been trying to capture moments of outdoor beauty.  We have had an uncharacteristically hot month and the lilacs are just on the verge of popping out.  It is a very popular flower to plant in our neighbourhood so we are anticipating bouquets of colour on every corner to brighten us after the incessant brown and grey (and white!). 

We had a much too-short weekend visit to the mountains in celebration of my birthday and Mother's Day during which I ate my body weight in amazing food and then we all soaked in the outdoor hot-tub whilst the snow fell.  I could hardly believe that I forgot my camera, especially when Orca and I encountered a curious mule deer on a short hike.  I saw two deer about 50 metres down the trail.  Orca was on his lead but I let him set the pace in approaching them.  It was fascinating to watch as he stopped, sniffed the air, and proceeded with caution.  The deer closest to us was doing exactly the same thing.  I was excited to see it take steps toward us!  As we moved closer and closer I watched both dog and deer conversing in subtle ways.  The deer moved toward us at the same rate Orca was moving forward until they were only about 6 feet apart.  That was when I wished I had not forgotten my camera!  I was wondering if they would actually touch noses when the furthest deer startled and bounded away, followed by Orca's new friend.  As a city dog he is used to having squirrels and cats to chase out of the yard but this was his first up-close encounter with a wild animal.

A Painted Lady butterfly experiement

1 comment:

  1. Superb pictures as always.

    Happy belated birthday.

    I so hate it when I have forgotten a camera and great opportunities abound so I feel your pain!


    Orca sounds like he had fun.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every comment left here! Thank you for taking the time to write. All comments are visible after being moderated.