Friday 22 November 2013

The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood


Margaret Atwood's The Penelopiad is part of the Canongate Books series of top shelf authors retelling the greatest myths of the world.  This is an alternate look at the Odyssey in which Penelope, Odysseus' long-suffering wife tells her version of the twenty years while her husband was away fighting the Trojan War.  This novella deals with themes familiar in Margaret Atwood's writing such as gender stereotyping, the nature of storytelling and myth-making, and the exclusion of the female perspective and is told with her usual sardonic sense of humour.

Penelope and her maids are in Hades and in a sometimes whimsical, conversational tone they tell their story in prose and song.  This is their story, that which has been left unsaid in Homer's epic is now retold explaining the relevant exclusions from the accepted version.  Penelope was a pragmatist and her arch enemy was not Odysseus (who comes across as something of a jerk), but rather her cousin Helen of Troy, a conniving, catty, vixen who plays the role of the middle school bully. 


Margaret Atwood

This is a fun book to read.  It is playful and enjoyable.  The voice of Penelope is rendered with exquisite realism.  It is not surprising that it was adapted into a play; Penelope rises from the pages as a real woman and begs to be portrayed on stage.  This is no two-dimensional image of the devoted wife, the faithful helpmeet.  Penelope has foibles and faults a-plenty, but they never distract from her likeablility.  I didn't realise until I'd almost finished the novella that I'd actually read it before.  That I had forgotten it is surprising in one way - I have a very good memory, if not for the content, at least for the titles of books I've read.  On the other hand, it wasn't a book that deeply resonated with me this time either.  It was a fun exercise in revisionist mythology and story crafting, but not one of my favourite of Margaret Atwood's books.

4 comments:

  1. I really love the limited amount of Margaret Atwood that I have read. I also often like new takes on older mythology. I have not yet read this. It sounds fantastic and I really want to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really interested in this series and hope to read more. A. S. Byatt (Ragnarok) and Jeanette Winterson (Atlas) and Michel Faber (Prometheus) are the ones that jump out at me for a start.

      Delete
  2. How interesting. I have not heard of this title. You wrote a very helpful review. I guess since I'm just starting out I will go through her major novels first :-)

    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much to chose from with Margaret Atwood! I've got my eye on "Cat's Eye" which is sitting on my shelf watching me :) I think that will be my next of her's.

      Delete

I appreciate every comment left here! Thank you for taking the time to write. All comments are visible after being moderated.